FutureQuest, Inc. FutureQuest, Inc. FutureQuest, Inc.

FutureQuest, Inc.
Go Back   FutureQuest Community > General Site Owner Support (All may read/respond) > General Computing
User Name
Password  Lost PW

Old 04-14-2006, 05:48 PM   Postid: 147285
Jeff
Site Owner

Forum Notability:
872 pts: Dignified Competence!
[Post Feedback]

Wireless router security: WEP vs. WPA-Personal vs. PSK2 vs. PSK2-Mixed

Just got a Linksys WRT54GR wireless router and am deciding on the wireless security mode that I should use. I take it there must be some drawbacks to the "more secure" modes and reasons why someone would use WEP for example when linksys states that PSK2 is the strongest of the methods? What are the drawbacks to each mode and the reason one might choose the next strongest in this list?

Quote:
There are four wireless security mode options supported by the Router: WEP, WPA Personal, PSK2, PSK2-Mixed, WPA-Enterprise, PSK2 + RADIUS, and RADIUS. WPA is a stronger security method than WEP. PSK2 stands for Pre-shared Key 2, and is stronger than WPA-Personal.

WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
WEP is a basic encryption method, which is not as secure as the other two methods, WPA-Personal and WPA-Enterprise. Select a level of WEP encryption, 40/64 bits (10 hex digits) or 104/128 bits (26 hex digits). If you want to use a Passphrase, then enter it in the Passphrase field and click the Generate button. If you want to enter the WEP key manually, then enter it in the WEP Key 1-4 field(s). To indicate which WEP key to use, select the appropriate TX Key number
WPA-Personal (Wi-Fi Protected Access)
This method offers two encryption methods, TKIP and AES, with dynamic encryption keys. Select the type of encryption method you want to use, TKIP or AES. Enter the Passphrase, which can have 8 to 63 characters. Then enter the Key Renewal period, which instructs the Router how often it should change the encryption keys.
PSK2
PSK2 is stonger than WPA Personal and gives you one encryption method, AES, with dynamic encryption keys. Enter a Passphrase of 8-63 characters. Then enter a Key Renewal period, which instructs the Router how often it should change the encryption keys.
PSK2-Mixed
PSK2-Mixed gives you either WPA-Personal (TKIP) or PSK2 (AES) encryption. Enter a Passphrase of 8-63 characters. Then enter a Key Renewal period, which instructs the Router how often it should change the encryption keys.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 PM   Postid: 147293
 Bruce
Developer

Re: Wireless router security: WEP vs. WPA-Personal vs. PSK2 vs. PSK2-Mixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Just got a Linksys WRT54GR wireless router and am deciding on the wireless security mode that I should use. I take it there must be some drawbacks to the "more secure" modes and reasons why someone would use WEP for example when linksys states that PSK2 is the strongest of the methods? What are the drawbacks to each mode and the reason one might choose the next strongest in this list?[/indent]
The only real drawback to any of the more advanced modes at this point is compatibility. If your hardware and OS supports PSK2, the definitely go for PSK2. WEP is considered by most to be only marginally better than no encryption at all (the only way it would be better is if there are more open networks near by for attackers to target). On the other hand, I am not aware of any feasable attacks against WPA-AES, and effectively all modern hardware supports it. I don't know what the difference between WPA-PSK with AES and PSK2 is. The term "PSK2" may be something specific to Linksys. as all the Google hits I found referenced Linksys systems, mostly the newer WRT54 sets.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:39 PM   Postid: 147340
ryount
Site Owner

Forum Notability:
94 pts: Helpful Contributor
[Post Feedback]

They covered WPA in episode 13 of Security Now which gives a good background.

http://grc.com/securitynow.htm

I use WPA-PSK w/TKIP and a 63 character key. A bit of a pain with that long of a key but I just keep it in a file on a thumb drive.
ryount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:11 PM   Postid: 147365
Jeff
Site Owner

Forum Notability:
872 pts: Dignified Competence!
[Post Feedback]

Thanks very much to both of you for the quick wireless security 101
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote